As we approach Christmas, I’m challenging myself to really be present for it. I don’t want it to pass in a blur. When I’m worrying, fretting, judging, or rushing—instead of just experiencing—I’m not really present.
Experiencing with all five of my senses is a way to get me out of my head and really feeling the moments in front of me. Here are five tips to use your senses to bring you back to the present moment so you can enjoy this season in an engaged, conscious way, without having it come and go in a blur of hurried activity:
What you need:
How to do it:
- Hear the sounds. Take an extra moment to really listen to the sounds. Not just the music and bells, but also the voices of the people you care about. Be present to the sounds and words of the people around you so your truly connect. Build new experiences and stories together that will last all year through.
- See beauty all around you. See deeper by not letting judgement come before feeling. Too often we miss things right in front of us by judging it as this or that, good or bad. By feeling the moment in front of us as it is, we can see the beauty in it.
- Smell the scents of the season. Whatever smell you enjoy, go right up close and really let the wonderful fresh scent fill you. Let the smell fill up your body and bring you back to the present moment and all the wonders around you.
- Taste fully. Enjoy each bite of food. Experience the food you eat with all five of your senses and make each bite meaningful. When we take our time and really be present with what we are eating and how it makes us feel, then we won’t overindulge. Feel grateful for the food how it makes you feel.
- Touch when you can. Twist the curly bow in your hand before you open the gift. Feel the hand of someone you care about for a moment longer that usual. Touch helps bring us into the moment. When we lose sense of touch with the people and experiences around us, we aren’t really connecting.
Life is about feeling and experiencing. And this season of family and friends and giving is a wonderful opportunity to reconnect.
Be like a child and feel your way to a wonderful holiday filled with love and gratitude and connection.
Connect with me